You are in: Europe -> Slovakia -> Bardejov Town Conser... , and traditional search or Image Gallery will yield results of this site only
Bardejov Town Conservation Reserve
Site number:
Type of site: Cultural
Date: 18th-century
Date of Inscription: 2000
Location: Europe, Slovakia, Prešov Region, Town and District of Bardejov
Image Gallery
Up to 75 images are shown here. Click on each for more details or on Image Gallery for more images.
Description: As a tiny but remarkably complete and well-preserved example of a fortified medieval town, Bardejov exemplifies the region’s urbanisation. Surrounded by various other incredible features, it boasts a fine 18th-century synagogue encircled by a small Jewish quarter. --WHMNet paraphrase from the description at WHC Site, where additional information is available.
  Bardejov (German: Bartfeld, Hungarian: Bártfa, Polish: Bardiów) is a town in North-Eastern Slovakia. It is situated in the Šariš region and has about 33,000 inhabitants. The spa town, mentioned for the first time in 1241, exhibits numerous cultural monuments in its completely intact medieval town centre. The town is one of UNESCO's World Heritage Sites. The territory of present-day Bardejov has attracted settlers since the Stone Age. However, the first written reference to the town dates back to the 1240s, when monks from Bardejov complained to the King Béla IV about a violation of the town’s borders by Prešov. By that time, an important church of St. Aegidius was already built. Heavily fortified in the 14th century, the town became a center of trade with Poland. More than 50 guilds controlled the flourishing economy. Bardejov gained the status of a royal town in 1376, later becoming a free royal town. The town’s golden age ended in the 16th century, when several wars, pandemics, and other disasters plagued the country. Bardejov is dominated by the monumental church of St. Aegidius, mentioned for the first time in 1247. A three nave basilica with multiple chapels was completed by the 15th century. It hosts eleven precious Gothic winged altars with panel paintings. The central square (Slovak: Radničné námestie), which used to be the town’s medieval marketplace, is now surrounded by well-preserved Gothic and Renaissance burghers’ houses. One of the most interesting buildings is the town hall, built in 1505. The lower part was built in the Gothic style, while the upper part is already in the Renaissance style. The fortification system from the 14th and 15th centuries is listed by the European Fund of Cultural Heritage as one of the most elaborate and best preserved medieval fortifications in Slovakia. Bardejov is also an important spa town. The therapeutic mineral water springs help people with oncological, blood circulation, and digestive tract problems. The old spa complex, not far from the center of Bardejov, also hosts an open air museum of folk architecture. --Wikipedia. Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.
Reference: 1. UNESCO World Heritage Center, Site Page.
World Map