You are in: Europe -> Croatia -> Cathedral of St Jame... , and traditional search or Image Gallery will yield results of this site only
Cathedral of St James in ˇSibenik
Site number:
Type of site: Cultural
Date: 1431-1535
Date of Inscription: 2000
Location: Europe, Croatia, County of Šibenik-Knin
Image Gallery
Up to 75 images are shown here. Click on each for more details or on Image Gallery for more images.
Description: The Cathedral of St James in Šibenik (1431-1535), located on the Dalmatian coast, testifies to the extensive 15th and 16th century exchanges of monumental arts between Northern Italy, Dalmatia and Tuscany. The Cathedral’s construction consisted of a succession of architects- Francesco di Giacomo, Georgius Mathei Dalmaticus and Niccolò di Giovanni Fiorentino – whose end result was a structure built entirely from stone, they devised unique construction techniques for the vaulting and the dome of the Cathedral. The Cathedral’s form and decorative elements, such as a noteworthy frieze adorned with 71 sculptured faces of men, women, and children, exemplify the successful blending of Gothic and Renaissance art. --WHMNet paraphrase from the description at WHC Site, where additional information is available.
  The Cathedral of St. Jacob or St. Jacob (Katedrala sv. Jakova) in Šibenik, Croatia is a cathedral church of the Catholic Church in Croatia, the see of Šibenik bishopric. The Cathedral has been on the UNESCO World Heritage List since 2000. The building of the church was initiated in 1402, though plans on its construction had already begun in 1298, when Šibenik became a municipality. The actual work to transform the older church began in 1431. A multitude of Venetian and local craftsmen worked on it, in Gothic style. In 1441, the Grand City Council entrusted the work to the master Giorgio Orsini. He enlarged the cathedral with a side nave and apses, prepared it for the dome and added various sculptural decorations, including 71 small human heads on the outer sides and a baptistery, all in stone. Giorgio Orsini worked on the cathedral up to his death in 1475. Between 1475 and 1536 the work was overseen by Tuscan master Niccolò di Giovanni Fiorentino ("Nicholas the Florentine"). He continued the building in the Renaissance style, completing the dome, the outer sculptures of St. Michael, St. James (Jacob) and St. Mark, the roof and the upper façade. He also built the triforias (parallel galleries) and worked on the presbytery and sanctuary. After Fiorentino died in 1505, the construction was finally completed by another group of Venetian and local craftsmen. The cathedral officially became consecrated in 1555. The dome of the church was heavily damaged by the JNA-supported Serb forces during the shelling of Sibenik in September of 1991. Within years it was quickly repaired with almost no damage visible. --Wikipedia. Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.
Reference: 1. UNESCO World Heritage Center, Site Page.
World Map