Ferrara, City of the Renaissance, and its Po Delta
Up to 75 images are shown here. Click on each for more details or on Image Gallery for more images.
Six official UN languages:
||Originally developing around a ford over the River Po, Ferrara turned into an intellectual and artistic centre; in the 15th and 16th centuries it drew in the greatest minds of the Italian Renaissance. Ferrara’s House of Este witnessed masters - Piero della Francesca, Jacopo Bellini and Andrea Mantegna - embellish its palaces. The neighbourhoods built from 1492 onwards bear witness to the humanist concept of the 'ideal city' as Biagio Rossetti led their construction in accordance with the new principles of perspective. When this project was completed it commemorated the birth of modern town planning and influenced its subsequent development. --WHMNet paraphrase from the description at WHC Site, where additional information is available.
|| Ferrara is a city in Emilia-Romagna, Italy, capital city of the province of Ferrara. It is situated 50 km north-northeast of Bologna, on the Po di Volano, a branch channel of the main stream of the Po River, located 5 km north. The town has broad streets and numerous palaces dating from the 14th century, when it hosted the court of the house of Este. Modern times have brought a renewal of industrial activity. Ferrara is on the main rail line from Bologna to Padua and Venice, and has branches to Ravenna, Poggio Rusco (for Suzzara) and Codigoro. --Wikipedia. Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.
||1. UNESCO World Heritage Center, Site Page.