City of Luxembourg: its Old Quarters and Fortifications
Up to 75 images are shown here. Click on each for more details or on Image Gallery for more images.
Six official UN languages:
||From the 16th century until 1867 when its walls were dismantled Luxembourg was one of Europe's greatest fortified sites due to its strategic position. The city was constantly reinforced as it passed between various great European powers, at one point being governed by the Holy Roman Emperors, then the House of Burgundy, the Habsburgs, the French and Spanish kings, and finally the Prussians. The fortifications, until their fractional demolition, were a fine example of military construction representing a number of centuries. --WHMNet paraphrase from the description at WHC Site, where additional information is available.
||The city of Luxembourg (Luxembourgish: Lëtzebuerg, German: Luxemburg), also known as Luxembourg City (Luxembourgish: Stad Lëtzebuerg, French: Ville de Luxembourg, German: Luxemburg Stadt), is a commune with city status, and the capital of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. It is located at the confluence of the Alzette and Pétrusse rivers in southern Luxembourg and contains the historic Luxembourg Castle, established by the Franks in the Early Middle Ages, about which the area grew up. --Wikipedia. Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.
||1. UNESCO World Heritage Center, Site Page.