Medieval City of Rhodes
Up to 75 images are shown here. Click on each for more details or on Image Gallery for more images.
Six official UN languages:
||From 1309 to 1523 Rhodes was occupied by the Order of St John of Jerusalem who tackled the city’s transformation into a stronghold. Later the city came under Turkish and Italian rule. The Upper Town with its Palace of the Grand Masters, the Great Hospital and the Street of the Knights, is one of the most striking urban assemblies of the Gothic period. In the Lower Town sees a cohesive coexistence of Gothic architecture and mosques, public baths and other buildings of the Ottoman period. --WHMNet paraphrase from the description at WHC Site, where additional information is available.
||Rhodes (Greek: Ρόδος - Ródos) is the principal city of the Greek island of Rhodes, in southeastern Aegean Sea and the capital of the Dodecanese prefecture. Its has a population of approximately 80,000. Rhodes has been famous since antiquity as the site of Colossus of Rhodes, one of the Seven Wonders of the World. The citadel of Rhodes, built by the Hospitalliers, is one of the best preserved medieval towns in Europe which in 1988 was designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The City of Rhodes is a popular international tourist destination. --Wikipedia. Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.
||1. UNESCO World Heritage Center, Site Page.