You are in: Europe -> Poland -> Churches of Peace in... , and traditional search or Image Gallery will yield results of this site only
Churches of Peace in Jawor and Swidnica,
Site number:
Type of site: Cultural
Date: 17th century
Date of Inscription: 2001
Location: Europe, Poland, Lower Silesian (Dolnoslaskie) Voivodship, Jawor and Swidnica counties
Image Gallery
Up to 75 images are shown here. Click on each for more details or on Image Gallery for more images.
Description: The site holds Europe’s largest timber-framed religious buildings; the Churches of Peace in Jawor and Swidnica were constructed in the mid-17th century in the former Silesia, in the course of the religious strife that trailed the Peace of Westphalia. Confined by the physical and political conditions, the Churches of Peace bear witness to the pursuit for religious freedom; they are an atypical idiom of Lutheran ideology in an expression commonly coupled with the Catholic Church. --WHMNet paraphrase from the description at WHC Site, where additional information is available.
  The Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica, localised in Poland, Lower Silesian Voivodeship, are the largest timber-framed religious buildings in Europe. The Głogów one burned 1758. Three Evangelical churches were built in Lower Silesia in 17th century, at a time of religious strife following the Peace of Westphalia, and therefore were named the Churches of Peace. The church in Głogów burned in 1758, the other two in Jawor and Świdnica were restored by a Polish-German cooperation. Constrained by the physical and political conditions, the churches bear testimony to the quest for religious freedom and are a rare expression of Lutheran ideology in an idiom generally associated with the imperial Habsburg Roman Catholic Church. With the Peace of Westphalia the Protestants in Silesia were allowed to build three churches, but they had to be built outside the city walls and made of wood with no nails. The Churches of Peace are listed as the UNESCO World Heritage Sites. The church in Jawor is under the invocation of the Holy Ghost, the one in Świdnica under the invocation of the Holy Trinity. --Wikipedia. Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.
Reference: 1. UNESCO World Heritage Center, Site Page.
World Map